Australian Consulate-General

Passport Application Information

Application Information


Please note that there is no priority processing service offered at the Guangzhou Passport Office.

Lodging your application

Applications may be lodged between 9:00 to 12:00 Monday to Friday. Appointments can be booked via

Completed applications can be lodged in person at the Consulates-General in Guangzhou and Shanghai, Chengdu, or the Embassy in Beijing.

Mailed applications for adult passport renewal may be accepted under exceptional circumstances, please contact us for details if you cannot visit the Consulate-General for passport renewal.

The Authorised Officer has the discretion to request any applicant who is applying for a passport to attend the Consulate-General for a personal interview.

Documents such as birth certificates in a foreign language will need to be translated into English by a registered translation service.

Proof of address will need to be provided at your passport interview.

The suggested procedure for preparing your application form is as follows.

1. Find out which type of passport form you need

2. Obtain a passport application form by:
a) Downloading a form from .

b) Collecting a form from your nearest Embassy or Consulate.

c) Contacting your nearest Embassy or Consulate to have a form mailed out. Note: address must be in Chinese characters.

3. Complete the application form. Click here for passport photo requirements.

4. Check the application has been completed correctly:

        PC8 Applicants

5. Lodge your application at the passport office based on your location.

Which Passport Form Do I Need?

Please read the information below to determine which passport form you will need to complete.

Australian passport renewal application (PC7)

The following conditions must be met in order to qualify for a PC7 form:

• the passport to be renewed is an Australian Adult Passport with a validity of at least two years;
• the passport to be renewed has not been lost, stolen or damaged;
• the passport to be renewed has not expired for more than 24 months;
• your name has not changed since your last passport application.

Application for an Australian passport overseas (PC8)

If you do not qualify for a PC7 form you will be required to lodge your application for a new Australian passport using the Application for an Australian Passport Overseas (PC8) form. Passport applications that require the completion of a PC8 form include:

• application for a minor's first passport;
• application for the renewal of a minor's passport;
• application for a first adult passport after turning 18 years of age;
• application for a replacement passport when your current passport has been lost, stolen or damaged;
• application for a passport in a new name (eg. name change through marriage, etc.)

PC8 applicants must find a suitable guarantor to complete the application form and endorse the passport photo. Please click here for guarantor requirements.


Please be aware the following will apply from 1 January 2016:

  • 10 year validity passports for 16 and 17 year olds. Both the child and a parent will be required to attend the appointment and the parental consent page must be completed.
  • Lost/stolen fees will be removed. Instead frequent losers of passports will have their passport validity reduced. 
  • The standard processing time for passport application is 3 weeks. As passports are printed in Australia, we are unable to offer a priority processing service.

Passport Fees

The level of passport fees is set under the Australian Passports Act.

Fees are revised on a monthly basis.

Fees are payable in Chinese RMB only.

For a list of current passport fees go to the Consular Current Fees page.